I want to pass on a recipe to you so you can make some delicious Fairtrade Mincemeat.
I made some for myself and then made some with the Y5 and Y6 children at Tansley Primary School. The recipe is not complicated and it smells and of tastes the essence of Christmas.
- 500g dried mixed fruit
- 300g other dried mixed fruit of choice (apricots, mango, pear etc.)
- 250g cooking apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 125g slivered almonds
- 125g suet
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- grated zest on 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 250g dark brown soft sugar
- 250ml brandy, dark rum, (250ml apple or orange juice if perferred)
- Make sure all of the dried fruits are finely chopped to around the same size.
- In a large bowl, mix the first nine ingredients together until well combined. It is easiest to do this with your hands.
- Dissolve the sugar in the brandy, rum or fruit juice and add to the mixture.
- Cover and leave in a cool place overnight.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly before packing into sterile jars. Leave for about a month to mature before using.
Recipe from “bake a difference”. Compiled for Traidcraft by Bee Rawlinson
Fairtrade dried fruit can be bought locally in Wirksworth at Traidlinks, 20 Market Place, Wirksworth, Derbyshire DE4 4ET
or sourced on-line from www.traidcraftshop.co.uk